Sunday, February 21, 2010

Honor Thy Body...


Lent.

Although the dates may change from year to year… it never fails to sneak up on us.
“Is it Ash Wednesday, already?” appears to be an annual query.

In the days of the early church, Baptisms were celebrated on Easter Sunday. The six week period before baptism were traditionally used to prepare converts for their transition. Later, the church decided that a period of reflection and fasting should correspond to the fast of Jesus Christ. Today, although many churches still honor the fast, many acknowledge this period as a time of self renewal, examination and repentance.
I will be the first to admit that discipline has never been my strength. After all…Why else would I still be in the midst of a struggle to “bring my sexy back???” It sure is funny how I can be so dedicated and controlled in my professional life…but fail to translate that into my personal life.
For example… lent observance 2009 saw the collapse of my promise to give up alcohol, two weeks before Easter Sunday. After a long absence, my favorite sushi friends at Osaka greeted me with new alcoholic infusions that needed my approval before making the menu selections. The overwhelming desire to feel special, clearly out weighed my promise for abstinence. In that very moment of temporary absent mindedness… I failed GOD.
I think back on lent 2009 with a heavy heart. What should have been such a simple challenge, turned out to be anything but. And while I understand that GOD is a god of forgiveness, my failure to honor Jesus’ sacrifice does not sit well with my soul.
In trying to bring my sexy back… I am often reminded of a bible verse:
1 Cor 6:19
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?

This Lenten Observance 2010, I’ve decided to honor GOD with MY temple. While continuing to incorporate the principles of clean eating, I will also incorporate a daily work out regimen through Easter Sunday. For me, this means a 4:30 am wake up call Monday through Friday, with work outs on both Saturday and Sunday. The key here will be consistency, which is something that I have never been good at. The early morning wake up call has always been the downfall of my consistency, but I am praying that last years failure will bring this years success.

I’ve mentioned my task to a friend who sarcastically responded…

“Yeah, good luck with that!”
Funny how the smallest things give you the biggest pump of motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment