Sunday, February 15, 2009

Teaching this old dog…NEW TRICKS

Consistently inconsistent.

That’s how I describe myself. Routine??? What’s that???

I realized long ago, if I was going to have any success with my diet and exercise efforts…I needed a routine. Yet, as sure as the sun sets in the west, something inevitable happens to derail my newly developed customs. Keeping in mind, it takes 21 days to form a habit; I don’t think I ever make it that far.

Yet writing last week’s blog about the “Pleasure Principle”…something intensely superficial, hit me like a ton of bricks…bad habits! The truth is, I can be consistent…and have been for many years! There were many examples of things I do…without even thinking about it… like second nature.

For example:

... When you’ve had a stressful day at work, and each time you choose to embrace the evening with a glass of the noble nectar of the Gods, i.e.; Cabernet, Riesling, Malbec, Pinot…pick your poison! Bad Habit? Probably!

... How about that fabulous dinner with desert on a Friday / Saturday night and sometimes both? (And when the staff at your favorite restaurant calls you by name…I think we can call that a bad habit too!)

... When you can’t have sushi without sake…yes, you guessed it…bad habit!

I think you get the picture. But I have to ask…is it really possible to unlearn bad behavior? Can this old dog learn new tricks? I think that’s a tough one to answer, but motivation can certainly be a key factor.

In an effort to motivate ourselves, two of my “Texas Girlfriends” and I decided to embark on a weight loss challenge of our own. Fashioned after “The Biggest Loser”, who ever has the highest percentage of weight loss by March 15th, wins the challenge. The prize? The losers travel to the winner’s city for a day at the spa. The winner gets to enjoy a one hour massage, courtesy of the losers. Talk about motivation! Not only is there the chance of forming good habits for the 28 days we embrace the challenge, but there’s a fabulous bonus at the end of the tunnel…win or lose! Now this is one habit, I’d love to maintain!

Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment